Role Summary: Legal advice to all different areas of the Company and its affiliates.
The Senior Legal Counsel position is based in Buenos Aires, Argentina and reports to the Legal Manager of Chevron Argentina.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance to the Chevron Argentina Leadership Team and its various departments on all matters, including but not limited to:
• Interpretation of and protection of the sanctity of the foundational agreements signed between Chevron and its partners including concession & exploration/exploitation agreements signed between Chevron and Federal State/Provinces.
• Interpretation of the Argentina hydrocarbon law and all other associated legislation and regulations.
• Compliance with local laws and legal formalities, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and Business Conduct & Ethics Code.
• New business development activities in collaboration with the business development teams.
• Ongoing development and implementation of Chevron Argentina’s internal policies, procedures and compliance programs.
• Local labor law matters.
• Environmental matters including decommissioning and abandonment activities.
- Assist the commercial team with the drafting & negotiation of confidentiality agreements, petroleum & gas sales agreements including oil and gas transportation and processing agreements.
- Provide legal support to the Procurement Department with regard to contracting and procurement activities (including providing counsel relating to risk management) to ensure compliance with applicable laws and company policies and procedures.
- Provide legal support to the Public Affairs Department with regard to social investment and social responsibility matters.
- Support the management of claims made by and against Chevron Argentina including management of external counsels assisting in local litigation matters.
- Participate in negotiations with Government agencies and representatives, contractors and other entities, as assigned, to ensure the protection of the property and interests of the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Juris Doctor or other similar postgraduate study.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience practicing law.
- Thorough understanding of legal and commercial issues related to the Upstream Oil & Gas business.
- Fluent in Spanish and English (speaking & writing)
- Ability to deliver business oriented, cost-effective legal representation to in-house clients on a timely basis.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and interpersonal communications skills.
- Very team oriented with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good negotiation skills.
- 8 to 10 years prior experience in a legal department of an Oil & Gas company/ Oil Servicing Company or in a well- known Law Firm providing legal advice to the oil and gas industry.
We are one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies producing safe, reliable energy now and for the future.